Last year I spent
time as a classroom assistant in preschool.
I could not wait for the opportunity to work with the smallest and by
far the cutest kids in the school. When
I walked in the classroom on the first day of school while they were indeed the
most adorable kids that I’d ever seen gathered in one place, we clearly spoke two different
languages. When I told them that, ‘we
were on silent,’ five little voices asked me what silence meant. When I told them to, ‘make a circle on the rug,’
there were several small children that stood frozen completely confused by my
direction. I realized very quickly what
the words, developmentally appropriate meant.
In visiting Piaget’s four stages of development I thought about how
important knowing what is developmentally appropriate for our students is. In the preoperational stage of development
when students are developing language and using symbols to represent objects,
spouting words that are unfamiliar to them will be extremely unproductive. It would be helpful to know that telling your
classroom of four year olds that they will be going on a field trip in three
weeks will result in your students asking you daily for fifteen days, “is today
the day we’re going to the zoo?”
Adversely, I
think we must be wary of underestimating a child’s abilities, solely based on
their developmental levels. As my year
in preschool progressed, I watched students learn and grow. Parents were often amazed by what they saw
their 4 year olds doing in class.
Students could pour their milk into a cup, open bags of graham crackers
and clean up their lunch trays after a meal.
Students would learn how to count one to one, recognize alphabets and their
sounds and many were even reading by the end of the year. Parents would often wonder how they knew what
to do at school and often could not achieve the same results at home. Environment,
routine and expectation were all factors that attributed to their success.
Teaching is a
balance of constructing, balancing and conveying knowledge in a way that is
‘just right’ for our intended students.
In reading chapter two of Anita Woolfolks, Educational Psychology (Woolfolk 61), it states,” Students must be
neither bored by work that is too simple nor left behind by teaching they
cannot understand.” Woolfolk references
Hunt in saying that, “disequilibrium must be kept “just right” to encourage
growth.” Just as parents and teachers
many times enable students by setting low expectations, you cannot expect to
set the bar so high and outside of the student’s realm of understanding that it
is not requiring any real thinking or growth.
Looking back on that preschool class we often had parents who expected that
their students would be performing simple equations by the end of the
year. We had parents who swore that they
had taught their four year olds multiplication and division. Although that student may or may not have
been able to memorize the words, they did not comprehend the process that it
took to really know the material. It is
much more feasible that we teach kids in preschool to count one to one and
maybe even teach students how to make groups of numbers and objects.
The psychological
development of our students will vary.
As teachers we need to know how to nurture that process so that we are
allowing them to think critically, understand and explain the processes that
they are learning and challenging themselves to further their understandings.
You have some great stories to provide pictures of the concepts. Our high expectations are so important in how well our students achieve. That's why my expectations for you are high. I'm looking forward for more of the preschool perspective
ReplyDeleteHey Beverly, I can completely relate. I too teach preschool, but at a younger level, 2's :). Many of my students start for the first time ever in school at that age. So on my first day of class this year, I came in giving direction, and many of my student parents don't expect much from them, they still consider them as "babies", but they know so much! I too asked them to come over to sit on the carpet in a circle and they all just stared at me, or many of them could not even sit still! But its been 2 weeks and I'm already seeing the progress, they know exactly what I am saying now when I tell them to sit on the carpet and they also sit a lot longer then they did the first day, which was not at all. I feel that they are developing that understanding.
ReplyDeleteBeverly,
ReplyDeleteI like that you pointed out that things need to be developmentally appropriate. Like you and Audrey, I also teach preschool. Sometimes, we overestimate what they can handle and other times we underestimate their abilities. It is important that we learn with our children and see what they can and cannot handle and that takes time. Audrey pointed out that her kids after two weeks were already sitting in a circle for longer. The kids are ever-changing and we need to adjust daily to their needs to ensure they are constantly learning and being challenged to get better without pushing them too far.
Emily