I can remember
sitting in lectures in college and listening to long, finite math lessons. I would go to class and think to myself that
I hated math for one hour, three days a week, and to this day, I can’t repeat
one algorithm or theorem from the class.
The days spent sitting in that lecture hall before I ultimately dropped
the class could not have been a bigger waste of time. I wasn’t learning anything, I didn’t feel
equipped for the challenge of the class, moreover the notes that I took meant
nothing to me once I left through the lecture hall doors. The experience of taking that math class
taught me a few things.
My fear and
failed past with math left me unmotivated to try to push myself to complete the
class. Although I remember being so pleased
to tell my mother that I had tested into the
class, I was completely unprepared for the challenge. I knew that no matter how much effort that I
put into learning finite math, I was missing so many of the skills that had
come before this level of mathematics that I knew that I would not be able to
complete the course with any efficacy.
I also realized
that although I did all of the right things as far as note taking and
highlighting important information while I was in class, those efforts really
didn’t support my learning. Note taking
doesn’t work if you lack the prior knowledge to make connections with the
information. Although, I took time in
class writing down problems, when I referred back to them I was disconnected
with the things that I wrote because I didn’t understand them.
Although I don’t
know if the outcome of taking a finite class today would fair any differently
then it did seventeen years ago, I do
understand the principles that would lead to a more productive experience. The lecture style of this class did not allow
for the acquisition phase of the transfer learning experience. If I’d acquired the knowledge and then been
able to practice the execution of the problems successfully multiple times I
may have been able to move into the retention phase of transfer.
As I think about
learning strategies and how I can support the students in my classroom I think
I will need to reflect on that young undergrad student sitting in a finite math
class. My students will need to be
cognitively engaged in the material that I’m teaching. I won’t be able to stand in front of my
classroom lecturing without ensuring that my students are connected to the
information that I’m giving. My students
will need to invest the effort in the things that I teach. They will need to make connections and think
deeply about activities, and activities cannot be designed so far above where
they are academically that they aren’t able to translate the information. I will also need to help my students organize
information in a way that allows them to effectively store and retain
knowledge, so that they can use this knowledge in the future.
Great story about your experience in math class. What do you think that professor could have one specifically to help you? How could he have engaged you? What strategy could you have employed to help you learn the material?
ReplyDeleteOne issue that I had was the lecture style in which the class was taught, I don't know how effective the professor could have been for a person like me who was completely unfamiliar with the topics and activities. I think I would have greatly benefitted from a more collaborative setting, where students would be able to help each other and work through a variety of examples. Watching the professor solve problems on the projector, didn't allow me to work through my issues and errors. Due to the size of the class, there also wasn't a way for the professor to answer individual questions during class time, I would have needed to go to the TA's office hours... which would have required additional motivation on my part (I had none).
ReplyDeleteI would have taught this class by using schema based direct instruction. I think that the expectation was that most students had certain background information. It would have been helpful to know before enrolling what milestones should have already been achieved before taking the class.