There are many
different theories and pedagogy that schools follow as it pertains to behavior
and classroom discipline. Learning about
the thinking that influences that pedagogy is extremely beneficial. In my own experiences in the classroom I have
seen many different methods implemented.
Some teachers choose to be incredibly strict or shockingly lenient, but
I think as a whole we are all trying to reach a middle ground that allows us to
maintain order in the classroom while still trying to impart a level of
fun. In reading this week's materials I
learned a lot about who I am and the teacher that I’d like to become. What science and strategy will go into
becoming a teacher that students respect, feel loved by, and can listen to and
grow from so that they will succeed, not only in my class, but also throughout
their educational career and life.
Anita Woolfolk’s
chapter on behavioral views of learning has made me realize that we condition
the students in our classroom to behave in a certain way. We condition kids to sit and read quietly for
a block of time, we condition our students to know that certain signals and
words will require a certain action, such as raising your hand to get your
teacher’s attention or a stern glare at a talkative student during a test means
to stop talking. In those scenarios our
nonverbal cues illicit the behaviors that we want to continue. In reading about operant conditioning, I now
understand that certain cues that we give our students will also elicit the
behaviors that we do not want. If we are
known to laugh at untimely jokes from our students during our teaching, we can
expect untimely jokes while we’re teaching.
If we always send the disruptive student out of the classroom, we could
be telling our kids that if you want to get out of a big test, they should
cause a major disruption right before you pass them out.
I think that
another major factor to successful classroom management is effective
instruction delivery. Working in
preschool for a year really allowed me to work on giving clear and concise
directions to students. Preschoolers do
exactly what you tell them to do, almost exactly how you’ve said it. The small details can be just as important as
your major objective. I learned that it
was much more effective to give instructions in steps. For example, I might
tell students that they were going to cut out circles and leave all of their scraps on the table
until I ring the bell. I would go on to
tell them that the ‘garbage collector,’ would come by each table after we were
done. This prevented twenty four year
olds from walking around the classroom looking for the garbage can, and all of the behaviors that would have come
as the consequence of saying, “cut out circles.” I believe that giving clear, step-by-step
instructions, are important for any grade that you teach. I would rather prevent the behaviors that
come along with students being unclear,
then correct and redirect multiple kids after instructions have been given.
Effective
classroom management is critical to the academic success of students. I have seen kids suffer tremendously
academically because the teacher was overwhelmed with disruptive behaviors in
the classroom. I think that many times
when teachers are overwhelmed they will forget the strategies and revert to
what is instinctual, which is perhaps frustration and yelling. I want to have
firm grasp on all of the best practices that teachers use so that my classroom
has a culture of respect for one another, where there is no yelling at each
other, from student or teacher.
Classroom Management: Cueing, Positive Practice, Effective Instruction HOW-NOT VIDEO A
Classroom Management: Cueing, Positive Practice, Effective Instruction HOW-TO VIDEO A
Classroom Management: Effective Instruction Delivery HOW_NOT VIDEO B
Classroom Management: Effective Instruction Delivery HOW TO VIDEO B
Classroom Management: Cueing, Positive Practice, Effective Instruction HOW-NOT VIDEO A
Classroom Management: Cueing, Positive Practice, Effective Instruction HOW-TO VIDEO A
Classroom Management: Effective Instruction Delivery HOW_NOT VIDEO B
Classroom Management: Effective Instruction Delivery HOW TO VIDEO B
Hello Beverly,
ReplyDeleteI liked your post, and thought there was a lot of good insight in it... Thanks.
While there were several things in it that I liked and agreed with, I particularly liked this quote towards the end,
" Effective classroom management is critical to the academic success of students. I have seen kids suffer tremendously academically because the teacher was overwhelmed with disruptive behaviors in the classroom. I think that many times when teachers are overwhelmed they will forget the strategies and revert to what is instinctual, which is perhaps frustration and yelling.
I think you're so right to mention that in the heat of the moment of frustration it's can be easy for a teacher to lose his or her cool and forget to implement sound caring philosophy. But, as good and effective teachers we must remember to not fall prey to this pitfall. I believe by not losing our cool, not only will we often win the battle, but we will also win the "war.'
We need teachers that will model good leadership even in times of turbulence, and I think your post helped tease this point out.
Beverly, it sounds like your experiences have been teaching your at least as much as a textbook. You hit on a great point, that some teachers revert to instinct when they become overwhelmed by student behavior in a classroom. That may be fine if one's instincts are the right ones. Often, however, those instincts are more survival in nature, and don't take into account the well being of the students. If only we could arrange moments like this and have students practice dealing with overwhelming situations.
ReplyDelete